I turn the grand old age of 32 in a month. And as I’m a big fan of lists, I’ve written a little list of 32 things I’m going to achieve in the year I turn 32. My last post touched on why I’m not a huge fan of New Year as being ‘the time’ for new starts and being when every fresh start must take place. But I have to admit, on my birthday I tend to have a look back at what I’ve achieved in the last 12 months and have a little think about where I hope to get to in the following 12 months.
Six months before turning 30, my husband and I wrote a list of ’30 things to do before turning 30’, we did…well pretty appallingly really(!) but we wrote the list just after Scarlett was born, and frankly, we were a bit naïve and most of the list was affected by the arrival of our beloved Scarlett and the chaos and second pregnancy and little Holly that followed! Therefore, this year, I’m going back to that list first to pick up any that we didn’t do or to alter them accordingly (with the power of hindsight now we’re parents!). As we won’t be having any more children, we at least know that there’ll be no more pregnancies to work our progress round.
The original list (edited with how far we got with it) is posted at the bottom of this post if of interest!
All in all, we weren’t particularly successful with getting through my original list..!! Who knew having two very young children, establishing and growing a family business and carrying on with a career would keep us so busy…!! So my new list will contain quite a few repeats with a few new goals thrown in for good measure!
32 THINGS TO DO IN THE YEAR I TURN 32
- Visit Stonehenge – seriously, we’ll get there!
- Attend an ancient English festival (my hope is that this year we’ll be able to make the Newent Onion Fayre!)
- Perform some music live together in some capacity.
- Work abroad (I’m due to in February so hopefully this one should be easy to achieve!)
- Put together my second book in follow up to the first, even if I don’t yet publish either.
- Do some volunteering abroad.
- Have a family photoshoot with my side of the family.
- Go skinny dipping (just with my husband I think for that one!)
- See a show on Broadway.
- Run a paranormal event.
- Buy a pair of thigh high boots (not kinky boots, more hippy in style, go back to my boho fashion roots and have a bit of fun with fashion..!)
- Host a murder mystery dinner party or two (it’s tough to cut it down to 6-8 guests!)
- Attend some kind of cookery lesson, thinking perhaps sushi…
- Get involved in a campaign or similar (that I’m not already part of or working towards) about something I believe in.
- Go to Paint it Pottery.
- Go on a canal boat trip.
- Do something VIP, whether it be travelling first class or getting a box at the theatre or something to make an event that bit fancy.
- Attend an awards ceremony (I have tickets to one in January so this one will likely be the first to be ticked off an I’m very excited!)
- Go away for a romantic night away with my husband (we received a voucher for a Christmas present to do so, so this also should be doable!).
- Go paintballing.
- Go to and take part in a secret escape room.
- Attend a Comic Con, preferably in Cosplay.
- See a psychic or attend a séance or something similar.
- Go somewhere snowy on a group ski/snowboard holiday (this is hopefully in the planning!)
- Go to Thermae Bath Spa.
- Celebrate my Mum’s 60th birthday (she turned 60 just before Holly was born and I would normally be the one to have arranged something special but I wasn’t really in the right state to do anything last year sadly so it had to be postponed for a year)
- Set & achieve a fitness goal (similar to the swimming challenge I did in September where I swam 2km, not necessarily a swimming one but something to push myself physically).
- Make a music video (just for fun but because WHY NOT!)
- Get another piece of art (I got a piece of Jack Vettriano art for Christmas which I LOVE and I’d really like to get a second piece to finish off our lounge)
- Be involved in some kind of comedy in some kind of way (I’ve been reminiscing recently from some shows I was part of years ago and it made me miss doing something like that, it won’t necessarily be something big but it’s be great to flex those muscles again).
- Choose a primary school for Scarlett.
- Reserve Holly’s place at the same nursery.
Some entries a bit more extravagant than others, some ultimately more doable than others, but what fun would it be if it was all going to be easy! As last time, we may not succeed with all of them, and we may change our minds on some but that is all part of the adventure. I turn 32 in just over a month on the 5th February which means I have just about 13 months to work through the list, I’ll try and update throughout the next year or so and we’ll have to wait and see whether we do a bit better than our last effort of 18 out of 30!
The 30 Before 30 List…
STILL NOT DONE 1- Visit Stonehenge
DONE (with one charity event becoming an annual tradition of ours!) 2- Take part in a charity sporting event together
DONE AT HOME A LOT WITH A SPECIAL BIRTHDAY SONG WRITTEN AND RECORDED FOR MY BROTHER IN LAWS 30TH BIRTHDAY BUT STILL NOT IN PUBLIC 3- Perform music live together (me singing, Tom playing an instrument, something we do at home a lot but never have done in public together…because of fear!)
STILL NOT DONE ALTHOUGH WE HAVE NOW GOT THREE KITS! 4- Host a murder mystery evening (I love these and have done them before, now I have a baby I suspect it’ll be slightly less raucous!)
DONE A FEW TIMES, NEXT TO PLAY MAP ROULETTE EXTREME (go to an airport or train station, get a ticket to the first journey on the board) 5- Play map roulette (pack the car, grab a map, close our eyes, stick a pin in it, most likely miss the map and yelp in pain, eventually hit a random location and head on off!)
STILL NOT DONE! 6- Do a dance class together (dance style not yet specified, suggestions welcome, maybe we’ll try a few!)
WE’VE ATTENDED SEVERAL 7- Attend a dinner/ball (the last one we went to we organised which was slightly more stressful!)
DONE AND SOMETHING WE WANT TO DO MORE OF AS A FAMILY IN 2017 8- Do some volunteering
DONE AND WE HAVE A TRIO OF COMIC COVERS 9- Create a piece of artwork
ABSOLUTELY DONE A FEW TIMES! 10- Have a movie marathon day (movies to be pre selected, day will be suitably accompanied with snacks and all are welcome to join us)
NOT DONE AND WE HAVEN’T TRIED VIKKI’S POLE EITHER! 11- Try pole dancing (we may wimp out of a class but Vikki assures us she has a home based pole we can try!)
NOT DONE, BUT I WILL TRY TO ACHIEVE THIS IN 2017! 12- Face my fear at Birdland and feed the penguins (with head keeper Ali’s help!)
I HAD AN AUDITION THAT I SADLY HAD TO CANCEL LAST YEAR SO ILL TRY AND GET BACK TO IT! 13- Appear on a gameshow (assisted by gameshow experts Stuart & Ali)
I DID AND IT WASN’T NICE!! 14- Eat a pot noodle sandwich (as pointed out by Matt – not acceptable after you’rE thirty and neither of us has ever done this!)
WE’VE HAD TWO WEEKENDS THERE AND ANOTHER ONE PLANNED! 15- Have a weekend in Tom’s honourary homeland Scotland (hopefully including visits to see Toms honourary countrymen!)
DONE AND IT WAS SURPRISINGLY TASTY! 16- Try a deep fried mars bar (well…when in Scotland…!)
DONE AND WE’VE HAD SOME AMAZING FOOD SINCE 17- Go to a foreign restaurant and order stuff we’ve never tried/can’t pronounce (recommendations welcome)
RIDICULOUSLY WE HAVEN’T DONE THIS YET 18- Attend an ancient English festival (along the lines of the Newent onion fayre etc)
WE’VE DONE A FEW DIFFERENT EVENTS AND THIS YEAR WILL BE ORGANISING A COUPLE OF OUR OWN WITH A FRIEND! 19- Go ghost hunting (on an official hunt, guided by a knowledgable friend…or rogue! One suspects October will be best for this!)
WE MET THE LOVELY SANDI TOKSVIG, JOE WILKINSON AND KATHY BURKE. 20- Meet a celebrity (a bit of luck may have to feature in this one!)
WE HAD TICKETS TO A COUPLE OF PROFESSOR ELEMENTAL EVENTS, BOTH OF WHICH WE SADLY HAD TO CANCEL DUE TO ILLNESS, WE DID GO TO A JOHN WILLIAMS CONCERT AND AN OPERA SO THOSE COUNT..? HOWEVER, I’VE GOT TICKETS TO TWO FOR 2017! 21- Attend a live music event
WE KNOW WHAT WE’RE GETTING BUT AS I WAS BREASTFEEDING AND/OR PREGNANT, ITS HAD TO WAIT! 22- Get a tattoo (cue an angry email from my Father in 3…2…1..!)
NOT YET! 23- Go for a cookery lesson
WE HAD ONE WITH MY HUSBANDS SIDE OF THE FAMILY BUT WE ARE STILL YET TO ORGANISE ONE WITH MY SIDE SO WE’LL HAVE TO TRY AND SORT THAT THIS YEAR, ESPECIALLY AS MY BROTHER AND HIS FIANCEE GOT ENGAGED! 24- Have a family photoshoot (we have a huge family so the more the merrier but I suspect it will only include parents & siblings if we even manage to co-ordinate that when we’re all free!)
WE WENT ON THE POLAR EXPRESS WHICH WAS AMAZING ALTHOUGH STILL YET TO GO ON ONE IN LOCAL TODDINGTON. 25- Go on a steam train (either just a journey or make the most of one of the events they run)
WE DID INDEED AND AT LEAST THREE OF THEM WERE VERY SPECIAL TO US. 26- Complete 5 random acts of kindness
STILL HAVEN’T, WE’RE NEVER QUITE SURE WHEN TO GET THE SLOES! 27- Make Sloe Gin
VERY SADLY, WE STIL HAVEN’T DONE THIS FOR EITHER WHICH MAKES ME VERY SAD. BIG FAMILY EVENTS HAVE PROVEN NOT TO BE EASY TO SORT THOUGH – WE MAY HAVE TO JUST DO A VERY SMALL PRIVATE ONE! 28- Arrange & have a baby naming ceremony for Scarlett (more complicated than it sounds!)
WE DID START ONE BUT ARE YET TO HAVE LIVE PERFORMANCE! 29- Start a band (this must include more than just the two of us and at least one live performance, band member volunteers welcome!)
THIS WAS A SECRET CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY WHICH WE WENT ON AND WE’VE HAD A CHRISTMASTIME HOLIDAY EVERY YEAR SINCE SO IT’S BECOME A BIT OF A TRADITION! 30- Secret number 30!